Instagram Pinterest Email Twitter BlogLovin Twitter Home About Me Reading Math Social Studies Image Map

June 10, 2015

Favorite Read Alouds

*** For some reason I am having troubles with the links to the books. I will come back to work on it later.  Sorry!***

One of my favorite things each day is the time where my kids come to our library, I sit on the couch with the leader and I read to them.

I love seeing them involved so much in the book we are reading that they don't want to go to the special class that comes next.  
I love seeing them play Little House at recess. 
 I love hearing them beg for me to read to them during DEAR time because they have to know what happened after we stopped yesterday.  
I love hearing them groan when I stop at a cliffhanger - which I ALWAYS try to do.
I love hearing them cheer for Charlie when he FINALLY gets the Golden Ticket - even thought they know he is going to get it!
We cry together.  
We laugh together.  

It really is a great time.  The past two years these books have been our read alouds.  We (as a third grade team) chose 6 books to read to our kids.  We all read the same books at somewhat the same time/pace.  I admit I always get ahead and have read more than these 6 books to my kids - I will add the books I read extra at the end.

Stone Fox

We start the year with this book.  The kids have their hearts broken at the end, and always want to know the rest of the story - which leads to a great writing activity!

Little House in the Big Woods

My kids always love this one and this year they BEGGED to read the next book in the series Little House on the Prairie.  We read this one because I love it and bartering has been ALL OVER our state test in social studies. The kids always get the concept because of Pa!!

Indian in the Cupboard

This winds up being a favorite of the class as well.  They get so wrapped up in the characters. Many have gone on to read some of the others in the series.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The kids always THINK they know what this is going to be about, but find out that the movie is not always the same as the book - which turns into a great compare and contrast writing activity.  I love seeing them cheer (and sometimes shed tears of joy) when Charlie finds the Golden Ticket.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

This is one of my all time favorites.  The kids again get lost in the action, adventure and the language. By the end, they want to go to Narnia to meet Aslan themselves.  It is also great to talk about WWII and how the war affected the children.

Maniac Magee

WOW! What great lessons this book teaches us! The kids are always amazed at how people are treated and how others feel.  Sadly, some of my dears can relate to Maniac a little too much.  

Where the Red Ferns Grow


I will admit I have a hard time with this one.  My kids do as well at times.  We did not get to this one this year.  Even though I have a hard time with it, tears are always shed at the end!


Now, why did I take the time to write all of this?  As a team, we decided we needed to mix it up a bit! The reading teachers have been assigned the task of choosing new read alouds for the team.  I want to hear from YOU!  What are your favorite read alouds?  Which books do your kids enjoy?  Which ones do they hang onto every word?  


This year, I did read the following to my kids between the other books.

Little House on the Prairie

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

The Lemonade War


PLEASE share!!! I need your help and guidance!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment