Instagram Pinterest Email Twitter BlogLovin Twitter Home About Me Reading Math Social Studies Image Map

October 19, 2015

Book Challenge #2 and #3

Dear Students,

          For the past forever (at least it seems like it), I have been reading The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail by Richard Peck.  I have had this book for a few years now and had never read it.  You all know how much I love (ha! ha!) fantasy books - especially animal fantasy books, so I thought I would read this one in order to say I had read it as well as to mark book #2 off of my 40 book challenge list! Even though I did not read this book quickly, I did enjoy it.  I loved the main character in the book very much.  He is not named until the very end of the book for a good reason, so I will call him Nameless as he refers to himself throughout the book.  Nameless believes he comes from nothing.  He is not the best at school.  He has no family except a dear old aunt who takes care of him.  He fights for everything, but especially trying to find out who he is.  He does not give up in the book.  We see him take his struggle of not knowing who he is all the way to the Queen of England herself which apparently mice do not show (or talk) themselves to humans.  It is against their rules.  I think quite a few of you would enjoy this book very much.  You can learn many lessons from Nameless, but the one I want you to learn as you read it is the idea that everybody is somebody.  You are important.  You can make a difference.  You matter.


          I was on a roll over Fall Break and finished another book!  This one I devoured!  You are probably thinking to yourself that it is a book that has to do with history, and, if you are, then you are correct!  The other book I read was Who Was Susan B. Anthony?.  I read this book because we are going to be studying her in social studies this week.  It dawned on me that I did not know much about this woman who is a big part of our history. How was I going to teach you about her if I did not know about her myself?  I enjoyed parts of the book because it mentioned a lot of people I have studied about in history - Frederick Douglas, Sojourner Truth, and others.  I enjoyed seeing how and why Ms. Anthony thought it was important that women have the right to vote.  The one thing that bothered me was how the women went about getting their ideas into place.  At times they were not very nice to others about it.  They spoke ugly words.  They were mean to others.  I found myself thinking that I didn't blame the men for giving the women the right to vote the way they acted!  I do appreciate what Ms. Anthony and her group did to help get women the right to vote so our voice could be heard in the American government.  I can't wait to see what you think about her, her life and her goal! I would love for you to read this book just so you can get a better understanding of what she did to shape our history.


          Well, there you go! 3 down and 37 more to go! See I can do math!  I have missed all of you this week and am ready to be back with our little family!

                   Love from your teacher who is almost done with her fantasy books,

                                                                    Mrs. Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment